Achievements and successes
- The MTG has helped to raise awareness of the under-adoption of medical technology by attending the Party Conferences.
- The MTG takes patients’ views to a wider group of MPs and Peers at our annual Parliamentary Showcase.
- The MTG appears regularly in the media to help policy makers and the public learn about the benefits of medical technology.
Shaping the policy agenda
- In its 2017 election manifesto, the Conservative Party pledged to adopt the Accelerated Access Review (AAR) in full, something the MTG – alongside others – had long supported and campaigned on, including producing a report, Déjà Review, that set out what we would like to see from the AAR.
- In 2017, NHS England announced plans to expand provision of mechanical thrombectomy, benefiting an estimated 8,000 stroke victims a year. The MTG was one of a number of organisations to raise awareness of the issue.
- The MTG’s campaigning on the issue of maximum price in the 2011 Health and Social Care Bill, contributed to a major debate on the issue in the media, and in Parliament, and helped to influence a Government U-turn on the proposals.
- MTG’s regular meetings with NICE helped to ensure that insulin pumps were the very first technology to be the subject of a Commissioning Guide. This will support the NHS in providing more patients with diabetes with this life-changing technology.
- MTG submissions to NICE help to convey patients’ views to this key public body, while our briefings to Parliamentarians on current legislation like the Health Bill explain to MPs and Peers the views of our members.